Release Date: March 14, 2022
Description: How many police chiefs have you’ve gone through? Two? Three? How about four (and counting). In this week’s episode, Officer Joe Lorenz, a sworn analyst, shares his experience working for multiple police chiefs and how it affected the analytical culture, dynamic, and of course, the products and workload (e.g., CompStat). At one point, Joe’s CompStat presentation reached 40+ slides! Joe’s badge story involves a burglary series. Joe gives his insights on sworn officers in analytical roles versus analysts trying to understand the sworn roles. Joe is currently a crime analyst for the Cincinnati Police Department District Three.
Name Drops: Paul Byers (00:04:29), Dan Girard (00:19:48), Lisa Dotson (00:25:15), Rachel Santos/Roberto Santos (00:36:16), Deb Piehl (00:41:07), Steve Gottlieb (00:48:06),
Public Service Announcements:
Freddy Croft (https://www.leapodcasts.com/e/atwje-freddy-croft-the-key-master-as-opposed-to-gatekeeper/)
Brian Gray (https://www.leapodcasts.com/e/atwje-brian-gray-the-remarkable-analyst/)
Staffing Assessment Research
- Department, C.-M. P. (2000). Patrol Staffing Assessment. Charlotte - Mecklenburg, NC: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department .
- The International Association of Chiefs of Police. (2008). Patrol Allocations and Deployment for Law Enforcement Managers. Patrol Allocations and Deployment for Law Enforcement Managers (pp. 32-39). San Diego, California: IACP.
- The Police Executive Research Forum. (2008). Organizational Structure and Staffing. Washington, DC: The Police Executive Research Forum.
- Wilson, J.M., & Weiss, A. (2012). A performance-based approach to police staffing and allocation.Washington, DC: US Department of Justice: Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Office.
- Ozer Ph.D., M. Murat (2012). Ft. Myers Police Department Staffing Study. Ft. Myers, FL: Institute of Crime Science School of Criminal Justice University of Cincinnati
- Matrix Consulting Group (2010). Glendale Police Staffing Study 2010. Glendale, AZ
- Corsaro Phd, N., Engel Phd, R. S., Ozure Phd, M., Henderson MA, S., & Schafer MA, J. (2015). Crime and Staffing Analysis for the Tulsa Police Department. Cincinnati, Ohio: University of Cincinnati Institute of Crime Science.
- The Police Executive Research Forum. (2008). Organizational Assessment of the San Fransisco Police Department. Washington, DC: The Police Executive Research Forum.
- The Police Executive Research Forum. (2010). The Anchorage Police Department Staffing and Deployment Study. Washington, DC: The Police Executive Research Forum.
Podcast Writer: Mindy Duong
Theme Song: Written and Recorded by The Rough & Tumble. Find more of their music at www.theroughandtumble.com.
Logo: Designed by Kyle McMullen. Please visit www.moderntype.com for any printable business forms and planners.
Podcast Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Podcast Webpage: www.leapodcasts.com
Podcast Twitter: @leapodcasts
YouTube Version: https://youtu.be/WuvtNLczw1o
00:00:17 – Introducing Joe
00:13:50 – Analyst Badge Story: Burglary
00:20:00 – DDACTS
00:24:35 – Staffing Assessment
00:32:54 – Break: Freddy Croft & Brian Gray
00:33:50 – Impact of New Chiefs
00:47:44 – Sworn vs Civilian: Path to Analysis
01:04:14 – Personal Interests: 70’s SciFi & 80’s Horror
01:10:10 – Words to the World
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.